gfxgfx

logo
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Victory Motorcycle Solutions

Victory Motorcycle Solutions®

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

[img width= height=]http://www.cyclesolutions.net/images/vic-edge-panoramic.jpg[/img]

gfx gfx
gfx
29154 Posts in 4091 Topics by 4656 Members - Latest Member: skinny8051 July 31, 2014, 08:42:21 PM
gfx* [Home]  [Help]  [Search]  [Media]  [Login]  [Register]  gfx
gfx
Victory Motorcycle Solutions  |  Victory Solutions  |  Victory Garage  |  04 Kingpin fuel pump
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 04 Kingpin fuel pump  (Read 3987 times)

Offline tburley6

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
    • Email
04 Kingpin fuel pump
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »
Took my 04 Kingpin with 12,000 miles to my mechanic yesterday, it was running really rough and stalling, etc.  He did all the easy stuff first, no better.  Today he checks the fuel pump, pressure is 22 rather than the required 49.  I call the local dealer, and a new fuel pump is almost $600!! Does this sound right?  Is there anywhere to get one cheaper?  Any help is greatly appreciated, I was floored when the dealer told me the cost.

Thanks,
Todd

04 Kingpin fuel pump
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »

Offline Half_Crazy

• Global Moderator
  • Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 04 Kingpin fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46:02 AM »
Took my 04 Kingpin with 12,000 miles to my mechanic yesterday, it was running really rough and stalling, etc.  He did all the easy stuff first, no better.  Today he checks the fuel pump, pressure is 22 rather than the required 49.  I call the local dealer, and a new fuel pump is almost $600!! Does this sound right?  Is there anywhere to get one cheaper?  Any help is greatly appreciated, I was floored when the dealer told me the cost.

I had a low fuel pressure issue on mine too... it was a connector on the fuel line LEAKING (gas going back in the tank, so you'd never know). No fuel pump problem, just a fuel pressure problem.

Usually, when the fuel pump is bad, it will make a squeaking/squealing sound. Because unleaded gas offers zero lubrication I always use an ounce to ounce and a half of Marvel's Mystery Oil in each tank of fuel to lubricate the fuel pump and injectors. I don't want to buy a fuel pump.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:47:34 AM by Half_Crazy »
2006 Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big Bore
126 HP/134 Ft-lbs -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile

diamonbird

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:02:57 AM »
I replaced mine a couple of years ago because I had the same problem and it turned out to be the Fuel Pump Relay was bad.......please replace the relay first, it's only $11.00.

I've reported this a few times on here and the VMC, I've replaces two Relays on my bike, the first one was my headlight wouldn't come on and then the fuel pump started failing.
The headlight didn't cost me much.....I got lucky and found it pretty quick!
The fuel pump cost me a ton and a lot of work and after it was all back together it still was bad and it was just the relay!!!!??
Now I carry two relays in my saddle bags at all times!

Offline king dumb

• Victory Sensei
  • 2004 kingpin cruiser croch rockett, 110'' stroker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:32:14 AM »
MY FUEL PUMP DID THIS LAST YEAR. I BOUGHT A NEW ONE, AND AFTER TAKING THE OLD ONE OUT ALL IT WAS WAS A PIECE OF BLACK RUBBER SILICONE HAD CLOGGED A SMALL LITTLE PORT OF SOME TYPE, AND AFTER CLEANING IT. ALL IS GOOD. NOW I HAVE A NEW IN THE BOX FUEL PUMP ON THE SHELF. MY DEALER TOLD ME THEY HAVE NEVER REPLACED ONE YET. CHECK EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR WALLET. COST OF PUMP $460.00 . IF YOU FIND THAT YOU NEED A PUMP LET ME KNOW AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW THE BEST PLACE TO GET IT. LATER AND GOOD LUCK. KD.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:33:56 AM by king dumb »
Don't ride in front of me, I may not follow. Don't ride behind me, I may not lead.
Just ride beside me and be my friend.

Offline tburley6

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:34:29 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys - after reading your replies, my mechanic did a thorough exam of the pump, and discovered it was just a rubber seal that was stripped and wouldn't seat correctly anymore.  That part is now on order, and I should be riding again soon!

Thanks again,
Todd

Offline Half_Crazy

• Global Moderator
  • Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:04:02 AM »
Put some lubricant in the fuel. If you take care of your fuel system, it will take care of you.
2006 Kingpin
110" Stroker/Big Bore
126 HP/134 Ft-lbs -- SAE
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile

Offline Swampy

• Victory Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • Email
I like that mystery oil tip in the fuel.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:03:44 AM »

I've never had any problems with my 2003 but it sure sounds like good preventive maintenance.  Iced and snowed in up here CT. right now but in another 2 months conditions will change for the better.  Meantime
its the old wax, clean, grease and oil.  Since I've owned it I try to get in all the nooks and crannys with WD-40 where ever it might do some good to prevent rust or even like the rear shock exposed under the seat.  That picks up dirt and moisture so I use the WD-40 on it and it looks new.   I guess when you get cabin fever, all these little things get one thru the winter.  I'd rather be riding the sucker.

Swampy

Put some lubricant in the fuel. If you take care of your fuel system, it will take care of you.
Stage 1 exhaust.
K&N Filter setup.
Hard Bags, floor boards front and rear.
Full windshield and fork windbreaks.
Spoke wheels
All done at the Factory in 2003.

Offline king dumb

• Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:39:58 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys - after reading your replies, my mechanic did a thorough exam of the pump, and discovered it was just a rubber seal that was stripped and wouldn't seat correctly anymore.  That part is now on order, and I should be riding again soon!

Thanks again,
Todd

i would like to know what rubber seal is striped when he changes it. i have took out mine as stated and also have a new pump in the box as stated. and the only seal you can change is the two o rings on the bottom of the tank (BUNG HOLE) and the other seal is the one that goes around  the ele connector were it goes through the tank. the pump is a sealed unit. ??? let us know.  and if any of them are bad you will have gas leaking on the engine. good luck KD.
Don't ride in front of me, I may not follow. Don't ride behind me, I may not lead.

Offline tburley6

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
Here's the brief scoop I got from the mechanic.  I guess the seal he was talking about was inside the pump, as he couldn't get a new one from Victory.  In his words, "these pumps aren't meant to be rebuilt, but I made it work."  So, I'm really not sure exactly what seal he fixed, but the bike runs better than it ever did now.

Thanks for all the advice, and it's Marvel's Mystery Oil in every fillup for me now.

Offline king dumb

• Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 06:58:39 AM »
Here's the brief scoop I got from the mechanic.  I guess the seal he was talking about was inside the pump, as he couldn't get a new one from Victory.  In his words, "these pumps aren't meant to be rebuilt, but I made it work."  So, I'm really not sure exactly what seal he fixed, but the bike runs better than it ever did now.

Thanks for all the advice, and it's Marvel's Mystery Oil in every fillup for me now.

what did you do to make it work ???

Offline tburley6

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:47:40 AM »
I wasn't working on it, my mechanic was, so I don't have all the details.  The information I got is that the seal he fixed was inside the pump, made of some squishy rubber.  The pump was losing pressure at that seal, and somehow he got it to hold pressure.  I know it wasn't anything outside the pump, because he told me the part he needed wasn't on the parts list for the fuel system that I sent him. Not sure how long it will hold up, but I've put a couple hundred miles on it since, and it runs smoother than ever.  My guess is that the pump had been slowly losing pressure over the last year or so, because it hasn't ridden this nicely in a while.

Sorry I can't give more detail, but that's all I know.

Offline king dumb

• Victory Sensei
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
well i am glad you are back up and running. but i sure hope your mec did not hurt your wallet to bad, as there is no way to open the pump to change any rubber seal. i have been looking at the new pump that i  have, and the only thing you can work on or change is the plastic lines and fuel filters. and the sending unit, that tells the yellow light to come on when the tank has .9 gal of gas left. but maybe he prided it open and did some thing to it. how i dont know ,but any thing is possible.  at lease you did not have to spend 500 on a new pump. later . KD.  ;)

Offline tburley6

• Victory Padawan
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 03:20:11 PM »
I paid less than half of what the new fuel pump would have cost, not including labor, so if this works, I'm more than okay with it.

He knows that I don't know jack about engines, so he tries to dumb it down for me, but I'm not sure anyone could dumb it down enough.  Long story short, I'm probably misstating what he told me.

I'm taking other motorcycles to him next week, so I'll try to get details that I can understand, just in case anyone else has fuel pump problems.

Offline Tom2

• Victory Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:48 AM »
HC, thanks for posting the info on the  lubrication (Marvel's Mystery Oil) I've been adding an ounce or so with each tank.  Might be in my head but I've toped her off six times since that post (AZ) and to me the fuel pump is quieter and she purrs like I just cleaned the TBs lol.  Wish I started adding the oil sooner.  Thanks Tom
04 Vegas
S&S 106  Stroker, Torque Tubes
SRVT 12" mini aps
2012 FLTRU

« on: »

Victory Motorcycle Solutions  |  Victory Solutions  |  Victory Garage  |  04 Kingpin fuel pump

gfxgfx
gfx gfx